What is WordPress
WordPress is one of the most famous Content Management System (CMS). It is mostly used for blogging and it has evolved to become a CMS for commercial work too. It is an open-source tool and written in php. It is one of the easiest and most powerful CMS.
- Basic Computer Knowledge
- Vesta Control Panel
- WordPress Installation Files
- Windows/Mac OS/Linux/Android
- Internet Connection
- Database Server
- FTP Details
- Make sure that the hosting package you have purchased from your web hosting provider supports PHP as WordPress is based on PHP.
1. Creating an FTP Account
Your host must have already given you an individual account on the server powered by Vesta Control Panel. That account details can be used to connect to the server through FTP (Filezilla) but still we will be creating another FTP account.
- Login to Vesta Control Panel
- Click the WEB heading button from the menu bar.
- Click on the Edit button of the domain you wish to create an FTP account for.
- Scroll down and tick the checkbox of the Additional FTP option.
- Complete the necessary fields (Username, Password) and click the Save button
2. Creating Database and User
- Click the DB heading button from the menu bar.
- Click on the Add Database button.
- Enter the necessary details and store them securely (Database Name, User, Password)
- Click on Add.
3. Download and Install Filezilla
Download and install Filezilla Client (not server) from https://filezilla-project.org/download.php
4. Downloading WordPress
Pretty easy, visit WordPress’s download site and click on the download button and save in any location.
5. Connecting and uploading files
- Open Filezilla and enter the following details
Host – your server’s hostname or IP address
Username and Password
- And click on quickconnect.
- Now you will see a list of folders. Open public_html folder. Delete index.html and robots.txt from that folder and start uploading the extracted files of WordPress by selecting all of them and then by dragging them into the server.
- Now, visit your website http://www.domain.com and wordpress’s installation page should come up.
- Choose your language and click on “Continue”.
- Then on the next page click on “Let’s go!”.
- Now enter the Database Name, Username and Password which we created in section 2.
- Database host is usually localhost but ask your host if there is any other.
- It is recommended to change the default Table prefix to any other in order to prevent your website from getting hacked. In this case I am entering “f7_”, you can enter any other random table prefix.
- After entering all the details, click on “Submit”.
- Now on the next page, click on “Run the install“
- On the next page, enter the required site details such as Site Title and the details to create an admin account such as username, password, Your Email.
- Then click on Install WordPress
- WordPress should have installed by now!